May 17, 2011

Happy Vesak Day!

Well. First of all, Happy Vesak Day! I went to 3 step 1 bow this morning(0030), so now I feel a little ''jellified''. In case you are curious, three bow one step is ....
source: http://kmspks.org/events/gallery/vesak2554
Those in the orange robes are the monks that live in the temple and the normal commoners(like me) are behind. Many people think that this is a very silly practice and why do some Buddhist do it. I had to queue for   like 4 hours before I got to my turn. Each session is about 2.5 hours, the distance is about 1-2km? Well. 
"Every prostration is the paying of respects to the Buddha (also include Bodhisattvas). This practice helps to purify the mind, humble the ego and lessen obstacles along the spiritual path as one repents past misdeeds and aspires towards spiritual development. With mindfulness of one’s body, speech and mind during the journey, spiritual qualities are cultivated." 
This paragraph from the temple website sums it off quite well. Whether you believe in it or not, it is your own wish. But this is definitely not compulsory. I think less than 5 percent of the Buddhist in Singapore do it. 

Yup, just a short post. Ciao!

Rebecca:)

No comments:

Post a Comment