May 10, 2013

Silently awesome.

Looking at Facebook always makes me think of the wonder/dangers of the social media. I just saw on my newsfeed that one of my coursemates just started an album on what she did during the summer holidays. Well, she crafted. She made a necklace which is pretty!

But at the same time, I thought about why she found the need to show off whatever she made on Facebook. Last year, another acquaintance of mine started an album of what she crocheted.

People post pictures on Facebook all the time, but when they post pictures on crafting, I would wonder why they did it. I suppose it is because I do not have the guts to do so myself. I am not a great fan of Facebook. The information there is simply too open for anyone to see. I mean, they do not even need to stalk you! Things about you appear on their newsfeed!

Does social media make the people of today more insecure such that they feel the need to show their achievements to other to gain recognition? I do not know. This could totally be a thesis question. Haha. I am leaning towards a yes.

Personally, when I make something, I always have this question in my mind. Should I blog about it? Tweet about it? Facebook is a no-no to me. Too many people I am not even close to there. Nadah. If I do not write about it somewhere, I kind of feel that what I accomplished is not as grand as it is. Because no one knows I did it, no one gives me compliments, I do not feel good. When I tweet about it, I hope that someone will like or reply to my tweet. Sometimes, I just feel like broadcasting it. Do you feel that way too?

But why should I feel that way? If I know that I did it and I am happy with it, I ought to not feel so unaccomplished....right? I am awesome! Just silently awesome and no one know how awesome I am. But...if no one knows how awesome I am, then I am not so awesome after all  Right? This is what we learn in Sociology right? Truth is based on mutual agreement. If no one knows or thinks you are awesome, then you are not awesome. Oh heavens! This really sucks.

So in order to be awesome, I have to let people know that I am awesome so I can be legitly awesome. AHHH. So frustrating. I have to admit. Part of the reason why I do not publicize this little blog I have here to the people I know is because I want to rebel against showing off to people. At the same time, I really want to be praised. I am a mess of contradictions, I know. But do you understand what I mean? People who post what they did up on social media always seem more awesome! >.< I feel sooo undervalued. Haha. What to do? I think the world raised us to be attention seekers.

Sigh. What a complicated world I live in. I do not understand myself sometimes.

Rebecca :/

P.S. I predict more posts like this in these few months. Haha. I overthink all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment